Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Living in the moment

Hello to all:
Its been a beautiful season up here in the Sheep Creek Valley so far. The first few weeks were beautiful, almost like an interior summer, hot and sunny, great for mushers, not so great for dogs. It was nice while it lasted, I made sure I enjoyed the sun while it was here, because I know clouds are inevitable in South East. Lots of running, biking and laying in the sun on the beach. Well the rain and clouds are back, and I hate to say I'm actually kind of glad. I must have spent too many summers down here in the rain forest, and now I'm used to it.

All the dogs are doing great, they are strong and happy. They make me super anxious to get home and start training for the race season. I have high hopes for the winter. The pups Chiron and Io are developing into wonderful athletes, they are amazing to watch tromp around the forest on our walks. Thanks to Ed for giving these pups to me. I think they are going to be a great addition to Team Cosmic.

Tourism has been a little slow everywhere up here in Alaska, I'm sure due to the economy, but there has been no shortage of nice people coming up to camp to visit. I would like to thank everyone that has come up and shared my "doggy lifestyle" with me. Thanks for all of the contributions! Every little bit adds up.

Jay has been at the house in Two Rivers, watching the place and making improvements. Trying to make it so life is a little easier, and I can just focus on training dogs this winter. I can hardly wait!

A friend gave me some advice before I came down to SE this summer. He told me that I should not live in the past or the future and just live in the moment. This has been my mantra this summer. It has been hard though, with our future shining so bright. He quoted me a little poem from the Tao of Pooh as a reminder:

While Eeyore frets,
And Piglet hesitates,
And Rabbit calculates,
And Owl pontificates,
Pooh just...is.
To know the Way
To do the Way
To go the Way
The Way we do
The things we do
Its all there in front of you
But if you try too hard to see
You'll only become confused
I am me
And you are you
As you can see.
But when you do
The things that you can do
You will find the Way
And the Way will follow you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Whether your are a mushing expert that has some input for us or a fan that just wants to gives us kudos, your comments mean a lot to us!